Continued care after plastic surgery is extremely important to the proper healing and setting of any plastic surgery procedure. Kansas City plastic surgeon, Dr. Jon E. Rast, recommends listening completely to your doctor and following all of their directions as necessary.
Post-Op Care After Plastic Surgery
The first step, is to make sure you understand your doctor’s instructions. If you aren’t sure what to do, make sure you call them, or contact us with specific questions. Healing time is different for every patient, but you can follow these more general basic directions:
- Avoid Heavy Lifting with certain procedures, especially breast augmentation, as lifting can cause issues with incision sites and muscle healing.
- Depending on the type of surgery, you may restrict movement for the first 3 to 5 days post surgery.
- Monitor your temperature for fever. If you have a high fever, call your doctor. While a low fever is common after surgery, a very high fever could be indicative of other problems.
- Showers are recommended 2 to 3 days after most surgery procedures. When washing, gently wash the area with mild soap (like Dove) and gently pat dry, do not rub. Rubbing could cause irritation. For the first two weeks, do not submerge yourself in water, such as a bath or swimming pool.
- While exercise is not recommended for the first three weeks after surgery, normal activity can start again three days after surgery. Moving around and walking multiple times a day, beginning the day you get home from surgery, can minimize the risk of blood clots.
Swelling Care After Plastic Surgery
Swelling is a natural process after plastic surgery. Swelling should subside in about 3 months after surgery and the body contours will begin to look more natural. A regular regimen of ibuprofen will help reduce the swelling before the body is completely healed. Pain medications unfortunately do not help with swelling as much as normal ibuprofen.
Contact Dr. Rast
If you are interested in plastic surgery in Kansas City or have any questions about pre or post surgical procedures, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Rast online, or call (913) 451-3722 to schedule a consultation.